Friday, October 23, 2009

Crazy Week

I never thought coming home from vacation would be so stressful! This has been one of the worst workweeks I have ever had. Monday I was overwhelmed with paperwork so I took a bunch home, spent 2 hours on Tuesday (my day off) getting it done. Monday night at 2am I got paged that one of my patients needed a stat C-section, so I rushed into the hospital for 2 hours to be with her (no, I didn't DO the section). Wednesday I didn't make it home in time to see Jackson before Care Group, so I didn't get to see my little guy until 9pm! Thursday I was getting ready to go to work when I get paged that one of my other patients has been admitted, her water broke, and she had been there since 2:30am--nobody paged me. Great. So now I'm headed into a full day of clinic and I have a patient there. But they reassured me she was doing well, a resident had done the initial assessment, so I planned to go see patients at clinic and head over to see her at lunchtime. Then I was so rudely interrupted by a phone call from an OB attending screaming in my ear blah blah blah. Long story short, I rushed into the hospital in tears (thankful, actually, to be pulled out of a very annoying physical exam with an older gentleman who just couldn't seem to stop telling me about His piercings...down there.) My patient was fine, but I had to sit there all day, cancel my clinic, and wait around...but finally at 8:30pm we brought a little girl into the world, and all was well. But I didn't get to see J again. This morning, I saw him for about half hour before rushing into the hospital AGAIN to round, head to clinic, and then I actually stayed until 7:40pm doing charting. Today was a world record--26 patients in one day! Wow. JW had to play guitar at church, so he actually dropped J off with me for 2 hours so I could finish up, and J did so well! He just played with his cars and this fake liver we have in the office. It was very funny. But I'm home now, J is in bed, and I was thinking "I'm so glad this week is over..." But then the pager went off again with the words, "Dr. Ruff, I have one of your patients here..." Well, she's headed home, so no worries, until the morning when I get to rise at 6am to round before JW has church stuff to do at 8am. What a whirlwind! Yesterday I was ready to quit. Today, I'm not, but I definitely am tired. And I just had vacation! When do I get another? :) Here are some pictures...

The family at the local cider mill

Jackson gobbling up an apple...

and me in Cambridge at "The Coop," reminiscing about wanting to go to Harvard in my younger, less wiser years...


  1. You know all those women waited until you got back because they wanted you to be there! Seriously - any one of the things you're doing right now could easily demand ALL your attention, but I know you are doing your best balancing things as a Mommy, wife and doctor.

  2. Oh yeah, and try to encourage that old man with piercings to find another pcp!!!